Tuesday, December 1, 2009

You've Made Your Bed . . .

One of the household chores I dislike is making the bed - or to be more specific, washing the linens and THEN making the bed. Oh, our bed does get made (almost) every day. I drag the sheets & comforter up every morning so that there is a smooth surface to dump stuff on. And I straighten out our pillows: the two our heads rest on and the two body pillows. Forget all the decorative pillows, what's the point? You can't use them. Martha Stewart I am not.

As to the actual changing of the bed linens, it happens once every two or three months. I am actually ashamed to write that. I just hate putting the linens back on the bed. I always end up with a crick in my back and all sweaty from wrestling corners down and lifting the mattress up to tuck the sheets under. We're lucky the sheets get changed every other month or so.

Since my husband has been away on a business trip this week, I decided it would be nice for him to come home to a fresh, clean bed. So I stripped the bed and put all the linens into the washing machine. I decided that rather than waiting for all the wash to be done, I'd use some of the bed clothes we have in my hope chest. I figured it would save me a lot of time.

It took me forty-five minutes to make our queen size bed. I was looking at our bare mattress and wondered when it had last been flipped. I could actually see a curve to the mattress, so I knew it had been a while. Have you ever flipped a mattress by yourself? With a toddler trying to help? My son was trying to climb on the box spring while I had the mattress up on end. And I was also trying to keep the dust ruffle from slipping as I slid the mattress back down into place.

Finally, the bed is made and I am sweaty and have a knot in my back, as well as a headache. I think I pulled a muscle in my neck this morning taking my mom's luggage down the stairs. Wrestling with a mattress and bed linens didn't help matters any. By the way, did I mention I also changed the linens on the guest bed? So, I hope my dear hubby appreciates my efforts at giving him a fresh bed. I know he will notice; the sheets are a different color. I'm glad that chore is done with.

See also Closet Confessions