Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Gentleness

A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

I'm learning that not only does a gentle word turn away wrath, but a gentle tone of voice. When I speak to my kids with annoyance in my voice, they respond with either annoyance or anger. And this just makes me more annoyed. But I've found that when I speak softly and with a gentle tone, not only do they listen better, but their anger is often diffused quicker.
Eldest has been having attitude problems lately. Namely, he is refusing to do what he was asked to and defiantly saying, "No, I don't want to do it." This is not acceptable, and it is frustrating my husband and me. I'm still not sure exactly how to deal with this attitude, but speaking to him with gentleness and love helps the situation. Because while he may still be defiant, my own heart is not responding in kind, and that helps my attitude.
I am not a gentle person by nature, so God is helping me remember that I need to be gentle to my children. Using a soft and gentle tone of voice is helping all of us to have better attitudes.