Monday, November 29, 2010

One Meal

Sometimes it is not easy to figure out what to feed my kids. My son isn't that picky, but he often doesn't want to stop playing to eat. So, for dinner one night, I gave Eldest what I called a One Meal, meaning, there was one of a lot of different items:
one bite of a leftover meal
piece of string cheese
grape
dried cranberry
olive
carrot
wheat puff
pickle
cheddar cheese cube
mandarin orange wedge
cheerio
'Daddy cereal' Quaker Oat Square
Ritz
gummy vitamin
macaroon
circle of bread with peanut butter on it
star puff
pea
cashew
raisin
slice of quesadilla
baby puff
marshmallow star

It was a big hit. He has asked for it many times, and he at least tries everything I put on the plate. It also gets him to the table without complaint.
I've also learned that calling something a silly name makes it more appetizing. Take for instance, Spaghetti-O's. At first they were car tires, and then they became train wheels when his interest waned. He ate up his "train soup" with gusto last night. Mission accomplished!