Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day

All my life, if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would say I wanted to be a wife and a mother. Even when I went back to finish my bachelor's degree, all of my classmates knew that I wanted to have babies after I graduated.
Well, I have achieved my dream. I have been a wife for 10 years and a mom for almost 4 years. I live in a house with a backyard and I get to stay home and take care of my family and household. I love my life.
It is a good to remind myself of this every once in a while. Today, my children are getting on my nerves, I have ruined part of our Thanksgiving dinner, and my husband is at work.
God has chosen me to be the mom of these children; chosen me to be the wife of my husband; chosen me to be privileged enough to stay home to raise my children; chosen me as one of His children.
I am glad we have a national holiday that reminds us to give thanks. I often think that, as an American, I take my life for granted. I wish we had a little larger house so my kids didn't have to share a room, a little larger yard so they could have room to play and I could have a garden. My pastor often reminds us that as long as we have food, clothing, and shelter, we are better off than 3/4 of the world. I must remember to be thankful for what God has blessed me with, because it is His gift to me, not what I deserve. God's grace is sufficient for me. Another way to say that is that I am blessed with more than I deserve, and I should not complain about the presents I have been given.
It is a good reminder, as my children scream at each other, that I have been blessed. That God has given these children to me to teach me about His blessings.
Thank you, Lord, for the blessings you have given me. Help me be mindful of them and not take them for granted.