Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Stinky Feet Syndrome

My 4-year old son is obsessed with stinky feet.
He takes off his shoes and smells his feet. And then he offers them to anyone nearby to see if they would like a sniff.
Last night, I had my daughter on my lap while I took off her shoes. Eldest was standing eagerly by my knees. At first, I didn't quite understand what he was so giddy about. Then I took off the first shoe, which he immediately grabbed out of my hand and stuck his nose in.
I kicked off my shoes the other night and he was at my toes burying his nose in my socks. He asked me if I would like to sniff my feet. I politely declined.
I love the innocence of children, the lack of social pressure. The 'adult' world says it is not couth to smell feet. The child just sees something fun to do and does it. I hope a little of that innocence can rub off on me.
But I'll still leave the foot sniffing to my kids.