Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Royal Icing

I can't remember where I got this recipe.
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tsp meringue powder
3 Tbsp cold water
2-3 drops almond or vanilla extract (optional) [we haven't used any extract, and like the flavor]
Sift the powdered sugar into mixer bowl.  Combine sugar with meringue powder until well mixed, stir in water.  Beat on low speed until ingredients are moistened, about 30 seconds.  Increase mixer speed to med/high and beat for 5-8 minutes until icing is stiff.
I separated the icing into two bags and colored them yellow and red.
I drew lines of different colors.
Then spread the frosting around, mixing the colors, or not mixing them.  Each leaf was different.
Then I used the edge of the froster to make the vein lines.


 
Finished leaf.

 Each leaf is unique, just like real leaves.  It took some experimenting, but the final product turned out great!