Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Embarrassingly Consistent

The other day I'm shopping in Target and my kids are having real attitude problems, they are both being defiant and rude and disrespectful to me.  Finally, in the cleaning aisle, I stop the cart and lean forward and in a quiet and controlled voice tell them both, "This is going to stop, NOW.  You both are being disrespectful and it is not going to continue any more."  At this point in my lecture, an older lady is walking down the aisle looking for some Lysol.  I ignore the embarrassment creeping into my cheeks and continue saying, "You two need to straighten up your attitudes right now or there will be consequences."  I finish my speech with two humbled children and make eye contact with the lady as we walk by.  She smiles and mouths to me, "You are a good mom!"  I laugh uncomfortably and say thanks.  Her encouragement gave me the confidence to continue to keep my kids in line, when I felt like giving up.
I'm so glad she didn't say something trite like, "Oh, some day you're going to look back on this moment and enjoy it."  Because, you know, at that moment, I don't really care about how I'm going to reflect on this moment.  All I care about is being consistent with my kids and getting through the day without losing it.
Parenting is hard, there is no doubt about it.  And sometimes it is embarrassing to be the consistent parent I know I need to be.  But I wouldn't give it up for anything.