Monday, January 23, 2012

Monday's Meal: Grilled Cheese

Yeah, yeah, everyone knows how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, right?  Here's just another way to make one that my kids love.
I usually use shredded cheddar cheese, frozen spinach, thyme or basil, garlic salt and olive oil on two slices of whole wheat bread.
I start by crumbling an herb on the bread and sprinkling a little bit of garlic salt.  Then I chop the frozen spinach up in a hand chopper and spread it.  Next comes the cheese and then the other slice of bread.
I use a George Foreman Grill to make the sandwiches and spray the grill with the olive oil.  Flip the sandwich once and it is done.  If I have a flavored oil, I will use that instead of the plain olive oil.
My kids love this so much that my son refuses to eat restaurant grilled cheese because 1) it's on white bread and 2) it doesn't have the green stuff.
These are so gourmet, in fact, that my husband thinks they make a great meal with a bowl of soup.