Friday, January 6, 2012

Who's Character am I Working On?

Do you ever feel as if you are failing as a mom? I do. I try to teach my kids character, but the message doesn't seem to get across to them. I try to get them to obey the rules, to listen the first time I tell them something, to be gentle and considerate of others. I feel like I'm not making much process in that endeavor. Of course, my kids are still very young.
My cousin set me on this article, Parenting 001, by Kevin DeYoung. One key sentence stood out to me: "They will see our character before they remember our exact rules regarding television and Twinkies."
Am I working on my character as much as I am working on the character of my children? Lately, God has been really showing me that if I want my children to be compassionate, I need to be compassionate. If I want my children to love others, I need to love others.
Children learn by example, not by my telling them what to do. Lord, help me be the person I want my children to be.