Thursday, March 1, 2012

Living Life Now

When my husband's job transferred us to Oregon in 2003, we thought we would be living here for five years at the most.  As of this weekend, it will be nine years.  Unbelievable!
But, because we always knew in the back of our heads that we could move at any time, I haven't been living my life to the fullest.  I've held back in my relationships with friends, which is probably why I don't have many close friends, but have a lot of acquaintances.  It has only been recently that I have felt that I can pour myself into my current living situation and live as if I will always be here.
Of course, our living situation may still change at any moment.  But just because there is the possibility that I won't be living here in six months, I shouldn't live my life that way.  It stunts my relationships.  It keeps me from being myself with people I meet.  I no longer want to hold back just because I might be moving.  I have been in the "might move soon" mode for the last eight years.  That is no way to live.
I need to live my life now.  Not in a "what if" state, but in a "this is how it is now and how it will be tomorrow" state.  So what if I am scared to reach out to people for fear that I might have to give up the friendship soon?  At least I had that precious time with that person.  Maybe that is all the time I needed with them.   I don't want to miss out on an opportunity to get to know someone just because I was afraid that I wouldn't have the time to get to know them.
I equate it to our lives as Christians.  We know that the church could be raptured at any time.  But we still live our lives as if we have many years left in them.  We make plans for the future, we don't hold back just because we might not be here in six months.  In our heads, we know that at any point in time we could die unexpectedly, but we don't live our lives in fear of that.  We live each day as if there was going to be a tomorrow, and a next year.
That is how I need to live my life.  Even if I move tomorrow to a new place, I should live as if I am there permanently.  I should put down roots and make new friends.  Find a new church and get involved in it.  We sat on the outside of our church for so long, I feel we wasted some precious time that we could have been connecting with people.
I encourage you to live your life in the now.  Don't be scared to gain relationships, even if they are short.  Live in the "now" and not in the "what if."