Friday, July 27, 2012

Question: Screaming

My almost three-year-old girl loves to scream.  She screams at the slightest provocation.  This morning, she woke the entire house with her "playful" screaming.  It is getting out of hand.  She has the vocabulary of a four- or five-year-old, so telling us what is wrong is no problem.  We can't seem to get her to stop screaming, though.
So, how do you get a child to stop screaming all the time?


Blogger answers:
Mary Lou: We did go through that with with DG to some extent. For us once we explained that the screaming was not acceptable and that she would be removed to her room every time where she would be disciplined, it became a disobedience issue for us. I know everyone is different. But perhaps removing her to her room every time. If you are out, removing her to the van.

Tiffany R. My son who is almost 6 has always been quiet but has recently discovered screaming and I mean those blood curdling screams. He thinks it's funny, we don't. Thankfully for us he doesn't do it all the time but when if he does and he doesn't stop then he is disciplined. We try explaining to him that you don't scream like that unless there is really something wrong.
I think with your daughter too it might be her age and a stage she is going through. I agree with what Mary Lou has said too. I'm glad that you have been posting lately! I always enjoy seeing your emails! Thanks for keeping it real too!