Thursday, May 9, 2013

Roaring Out of Frustration

It's dinner time and the kids are getting on my nerves.  I'm trying to figure out what to cook and they're whining, "I'm hungry!" "What are we having for dinner?" "Can we have (fill in the blank) for dinner instead?"  I am about to loose my cool with them.  Wait, about to?  No, already have.  My voice is not pleasant; irritation is coming through loud and clear.  I'm ready to scream out of frustration.
It is too wet to send them outside, and I have a feeling that part of the whiny-ness stems from needing to release pent up energy.  So I run towards my oldest and "Tag, you're it!" then I run away.  He stands there and whines, "Noooooooooooooo!  I don't want to play taaaaaaaaaag!"
Grrrrrr.
Oh, wait, that's a great idea.
I run up to the six-year-old again and, "ROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!"
He squeals in delight and takes off running, his sister close behind him.  The toddler has a worried look on his face; he doesn't remember us playing this game before.  I pick him up and start roaring at his older siblings with him.  He catches on quickly and we chase the big kids roaring at them.  They all have grins on their faces, and, bonus, they're getting energy out.
I am no longer irritated, the kids are no longer whining, and I am in a proper state of mind to figure out what to have for dinner.  (It ended up being mac and cheese and chili, in case you were wondering.)
Turns out, roaring out of frustration really does make things better.