Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Words

Speak only what is good for building up people and meeting the need of the moment. This way you will administer grace to those who hear you.
Words have great power behind them.
Tonight, I was hurt by words from a friend, words that seemed harmless enough, but dug deep into my insecurities and made me feel as if I was that gangly, awkward, inexperienced 14-year-old again.  A lack of confidence in my abilities and a lack of trust in my judgement left me damaged.
However, I knew that there was more to my hurt than just the paltry words.  I was dealing with hurts from the past as well as from the present.  Hurts that I thought I had left behind me; ghosts that came whispering in between the lines.
Honestly, I don't know how to come to grips with what she said, other than giving it completely to God.  More than just dealing with what she said, I'm having to deal with the past that I thought was dead and buried.  As Colossians says, "Don't be angry with each other, but forgive each other. If you feel someone has wronged you, forgive them. Forgive others because the Lord forgave you."  Forgiveness, like love, is an action, not a feeling.
I'm praying that my words will "always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer everyone."