Monday, June 26, 2017

Taco Seasoning

Did you know that the taco seasoning packets you buy at the store are full of preservatives and salt? Have you ever looked at the salt on one packet? It's a huge amount.

I wanted to get away from the preservatives, and also to know what was in my food, so I started making my own taco seasoning.

I have been making this particular recipe for a few years now, and I believe I have perfected it!

1 cup dried minced onion
1/3 cup chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
3 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp oregano
4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
(and the secret ingredient!) 1/2 tsp Vietnamese cinnamon

You can just mix it up as is. My family prefers it without chunks, so I put it into a food processor (Magic Bullet) and mix it up well.

Use about 1-2 Tbsp per pound of meat. I make three pounds at a time and put in about five tablespoons.  If I make taco meat once a month, this recipe will last about five months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! If you'd like to comment without signing in, select Anonymous and please sign your name, so I know who you are!