Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Names of Jesus - True Vine

I looked over at my calendar sitting on the table next to me. It was open to the tab between months and the words on the aesthetically pleasing page popped out at me: let yourself rest.  Rest. That is something I cannot do. Not now, not ever. I have three kids. I have to cook dinner, I have to go grocery shopping, I have to wash the dishes, the laundry, the floors, the kids...myself! I haven’t showered in two days. How do I rest?

I think of Jesus saying, "Come to me, all who are weary, and find rest," and I wonder how long it will take to find that rest.

Then I realize my problem. I am striving to find rest. Jesus also says that he is the vine, and we are the branches, whoever abides in him will bear much fruit. What does that have to do with rest? Abiding is resting; but not just sitting down and doing nothing, it is actively remaining stable in a fixed place. 

Have I been abiding in Jesus? Honestly? No. I've been trying to do things on my own without remaining in Jesus, and my soul has been withering. I have chosen to open my tablet and play a game rather than open my Bible and abide. I have chosen to get impatient with my kids rather than patiently listen to God's prompting on my heart.

The thing is, I cannot bear fruit on my own. I cannot force goodness out of me; I cannot push out joy like giving birth to a baby. Fruit will come after a season of rest and renewal (winter). It takes nutrients from the vine and those blossom into fruit, but only because the branch has been abiding and remaining in the vine.

As North America enters the winter season physically, it seems we are already in a winter season spiritually and mentally. I have not been abiding in Jesus through this Covid winter. It is time to stop trying to make rest happen and just abide and remain in Jesus.

Read John 15:1-11 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! If you'd like to comment without signing in, select Anonymous and please sign your name, so I know who you are!