Monday, December 7, 2020

Names of Jesus - Immanuel

Do you ever feel that God is far from you?

God wants to be with his people. He created us to have a relationship with him. In the beginning, he walked with humans and conversed with them daily. Sin messed that up and put a huge divide between divinity and humanity. 

God promised that a virgin would give birth to a son who would be called Immanuel, meaning God with us. In order to be with us, the Creator of the universe became a created human. Can you even fathom the depths of love that has to involve? Would you set aside your own loving and accepting family to go live with people who don’t like you, and want to kill you?

As we start the second week of Advent, we light the Bethlehem candle, symbolizing love. God loved the world so much that he sent his only son to be born in Bethlehem. Laying aside his majesty, Jesus chose to be with us, to walk among us and love us.

God is never far from us. We can feel far from him, but that is usually because we are distancing ourselves. I have felt far from God in the last few years, since my mom became mortally ill with pancreatic cancer. I know in my mind that God hasn’t been far from me, but I am just now getting to that realization in my heart as well.  

Do you feel that God is with you? Do you feel his love and presence in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! If you'd like to comment without signing in, select Anonymous and please sign your name, so I know who you are!