Thursday, February 21, 2013

Redeem the Time


Lately the Lord has been telling me to be purposeful and intentional about what I am doing.  Instead of going through my days on autopilot, to be consciously thinking about my actions and my words.
The other day, I randomly* read Ephesians 5:16, "redeeming the time, because the days are evil."  The phrase "redeem the time" has been going through my head since then.  Every time I sit down at the computer, "Redeem the time" is the chorus in my head.
How am I using my time?  Am I using it wisely?  Am I making the most out of every minute that I have?  Honestly, no, I'm not.  And since I read that verse, every time I start to do something that is not fruitful, the phrase runs through my head, "Redeem the time."
The NIV version of verses 15 through 17 says, "Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise, but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.  Therefore, do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
It would be so much easier to float through life doing only what needs to be done just because it needs to be done.  But I want so much more than that.  Instead of just telling my kids to "knock it off and behave," I want to explain why they should behave and the heart condition lying underneath their disobedience.  That is being purposeful, and redeeming the time that was spent in disobedience.
I want to instill in my children that living life to the fullest is being purposeful about how I spend my time.  I want them to look back on me and see a mom who was involved in their lives, constantly teaching by example.  I don't want them to look back on their childhood and picture me always sitting in front of the computer or having the TV on.
I am realizing more and more that how I am, how I act, and how I talk is who my children will be, how they will act and talk.  We always want better things for our children.  Resolve with me to BE the better that you want to see in your kids.
I challenge you (and myself) to redeem the time this week, living as someone who is wise.
So be careful how you live.  Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise.  Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.  Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do. Ephesians 5:15-17 (NLT)

*I don't think "random" is the correct word, because the Lord obviously had me read those words for a reason.  But I say "random" because I was just perusing the text, looking for something else and I came across those words which stuck with me.